lunes, 23 de abril de 2007

basico dos

Chasing a dream is like drawing your shadow. When you work on it,it changes, and you look like a complete tit the whole time.

I have finished the first part of my formal advancement toward fluency in the spanish language. More and more dificult parts of this challenge to come but at least I have come out of the first part without too much damage to my pride. I have a mark of 4.4 out of a possible 5. I am not quite sure of how the marking process works but a finishing mark of 4 and a bit sounds a little odd to me. I am well aware that the marking had been calculated utilising a system that resulted in a mark of 87.8%, I have no idea why this had to be further mathsculated to 4.4. I am however glad for the additional 0.2% that this has gifted me, as I am sure it will come in handy around the house. On a side note, when I explained my initial result (87.8%) to my housemates, both of them asked me if it was out of 100.

I might be getting a little pedantic here, but in both languages the term percent, or por ciento signifies "from 100". Now both of these guys are intelligent enough, A psychologist and a business systems engineer, so there must be a valid reason for the question.
I place the blame with those members of society who are optimistic, extroverted and have no respect for either mathematics or the english language.
Physical Education Teachers. The continual requests for 110% or 115% have degraded the value of a term so useful it was given its own symbol to a point where its inate meaning has been lost.
Ponder this the next time you find yourself saying "87% out of 100%"

The keep finding chinese sweatshops here. Seems it is cheaper to import the cheap labour to produce products that it is to export the raw materials to china and import the finished product. There are laws against this as proud colombia needs to protect the abuse of the local lower class.

Not every moment here is happy, the spanish word for happy is "contento". What these means though is that 2 minutes of sun, fresh air and no fear of robbery is enough to transform an entire day. Those little things gain such an importance.

No hay comentarios: